Lizards and geckos appear harmless, which doesn’t necessarily require you to call for pest control in Singapore, but looks can be deceiving. While they don’t bite or sting or cause severe property damage like bees, ants, termites, and mosquitoes, these tiny reptiles can carry harmful disease-causing bacteria, like salmonella, which can be transmitted through their urine and droppings. People can get sick with severe stomach cramps, diarrhoea, fever, and vomiting. They also carry germs and parasites that can spread in your home and make your family seriously ill. Plus, they risk food contamination, especially if their droppings fall on your food.
What attracts lizards in your home?
There are plenty of reasons why you might constantly be seeing lizards in your house. Some of them include the following:
- Humid location – Living in countries with a warm and humid climate, like Singapore, means you are predisposed to lizards in your home.
- Fruits – Keeping fruits uncovered anywhere in your kitchen attracts this creepy crawlies because these are one of their food sources.
- Moisture – Lizards like standing water, including garden ponds, leaky pipes, and other sources of moisture.
- Cracks and holes – They like to sneak into the tiny crevices in your window sills, walls, doors, and other things that they can consider access points to your home.
- Dirt and clutter – Food crumbs, spills, and clutter that they can feed on can be a hiding place that can also attract these slithery creatures.
- Other insects – Insects are their primary food source. If many other insects, like ants and mosquitoes, lurk inside your home, you can also expect to find lots of lizards.
If not properly taken care of, these things can lead to a potential lizard infestation.
Where do lizards hide in your home?
Knowing where to usually find lizards can help you manage these menaces:
- Underneath piles of paper, magazines, newspapers, and other junk items.
- At the back frames or other hanging or mounted items on the wall.
- Closets, drawers, cupboards, and cabinets that are rarely opened.
- Behind furniture items where they can lay eggs and protect themselves from predators.
- Under sinks are also perfect for breeding because they are moist places.
- Moist and cluttered basements are excellent breeding grounds, too.
What home remedies can you use to get rid of lizards?
You can use these ingredients found in the average household to try and get rid of lizards:
- Tabasco and pepper powder – Lizards are said to be allergic to pepper. Mix tabasco and pepper powder and spray it around your home where there are lizards.
- Eggshells – The pungent smell of eggshells irritates them. Eggshells also give them the impression that an enormous creature is close by.
- Spices – Onion and garlic have a strong aroma that these reptiles can’t tolerate. Mix onion or garlic powder and use the solutions as a spray to ward off these annoying creatures.
- Coffee and tobacco – Make repellent balls out of coffee and tobacco to eliminate any lizards in close contact.
- Naphthalene balls – Place them in cupboards, drawers, or anywhere in your home that lizards frequent to keep them away.
Although there are home remedies to try and get rid of lizards yourself, you may find later that they keep coming back. One of the reasons is that they have built a colony deep in your home and are overpopulated. As such, it would be better to call on professional pest control in Singapore to handle the problem.
At PestClinic, we can help you safely eliminate any pests, from lizards to snakes. We also offer professional disinfection services after eliminating pests, like rodents, bees, and ants, to keep your business free from bacteria, viruses, and other disease-causing microorganisms. Get in touch with us today to discuss how we can be of service to your home or business.