In Singapore, termites are commonly referred to as “White Ants”. They are the most feared pest in Singapore because every year they deal damages to properties which amount up to thousands of dollars by feeding on cellulose found in wood and wood by-products.
Sometimes termites also carry out “exploratory feeding”, which cause damage to PVC casings and electrical copper wiring. As a result, damaged roof, ceiling, wall-panel structures and furnitures have to be replaced.
In most cases, the damages are only detected at a later stage which result in costly repairs, annoyance and stress.
Out of the 3 termites, subterranean termites account for about 90% of termite activities in Singapore.
Sign of infestation
- Shelter tubes that made of soil and wood cemented together with the termite’s saliva and excrement
- Warped or uneven surface of wooded board or panel
- Extensive damage to wooden structure and wood by-products
- Active soldier and worker termites
- Clicking sound caused by the soldier termites tapping their hardened heads on the wood they infested or the surface of their shelter tubes
- Piles of faecal pellets that are hard with 6 distinct concave surfaces on the elongated sides and rounded ends
- Damaged wood that had very low moisture content including movable wooden object etc Pianos, furnitures, doors and door frames
How to get rid of this?
- Termite Detection using Termatrac T3i
This unique termite detection radar sends out radar through most common wall materials that locates and tracks the presence of termites, without the need for tapping or drilling holes in the walls for easy and accurate treatment.
- Detects movement in or behind most surfaces
- Can be used to detect termites in hard to reach places
- Reads movement on a PDA upto 20 yards away from the source
- Allows for precise treatment
- Eliminates the need for post inspection repairs
- More environmentally friendly as less chemicals need to be used.
- Termite Detection using PestClinic Intergrated Inspection System
This method allows inspector to , in effect “ See” and “Read” through building walls , floorboards and ceiling , uncovered hidden problems that may go undetected in an ordinary visual inspection.
- Non- Contact and Non-Invasive Technique
- Give full image of the situation we cannot see with our naked eyes
- Identify & pinpoint the problems
- Detect various targets from 500m to 1500m
- Fast & real time
- Save valuable time & money
- Baiting System
A thorough inspection will be carry out for the entire premises. All active subterranean termite found will be treated with Above-Ground Baits with a close monitoring of every 2 weeks until certified Non-Active.
The objective of termite baiting is to place a food source that contains toxicant. Foraging termites that find the baits will consume and share the food containing the toxicant with its nest mate including QUEEN and KING through a process called trophallaxis. Elimination will take approximately 2-12 weeks depending on the size of the colony, typically between 6-8 weeks.
Above-Ground(AG) baiting system typically delivers baits with toxicant to the termite trails from exposed mud trail above ground.
In-Ground baiting system typically install in surrounding of the house (With Garden/Landscape). Its act as a monitoring stations. Once termite are intercepted , toxicant bait will be placed in the station to eliminate the colony.
- Spot Treatment
A thorough inspection will be carry out for the entire premises. All active subterranean termite found will be treated with insecticide powder to the trails for short term control using Ceptiva Powder – The Termite Eliminator.
The powder containing a dose of toxicant is acquired by termites in the following means :
- by direct application.
- mouth to mouth feeding
- grooming behaviour
- during the repair and restorations of incised tunnels or opening on infested areas
- through contamination of termite body by passing through the treated tunnels or infested wood.
- Corrective Treatment for Landed Property
A thorough inspection of the overall premise is conducted to identify the infestation areas.Termiticide dust treatment will be applied at the identified infested area.A detector is used to locate areas containing cables and pipes prior to the drilling. 8mm diameter holes within a 300mm intervals .5 litres of termiticide solution is applied by pressure into each drilled hole.Holes will be patched with granite and waterproof cement to seal up.
5 Years warranty will be provided upon the completion of the treatment.
- Corrective Treatment for Apartment
This treatment solution specifically designed to protect and control against damages caused by subterranean termites. It involves treatment of wood in contact with floor joints or concrete walls using termiticide solution.
A thorough inspection of the overall premise is conducted to identify infested areas. Termiticide dust is applied at infested areas.Drilling of 2mm diameter holes within 450 to 600mm intervals will be carried out along wooden skirting boards, door and window frames as well as behind cabinet bases. Termiticide solution is applied by pressure into each drilled holes. Holes will be patched and filled with colored wooden fillers.
2 years warranty will be given upon completion of the treatment.
- Roof Treatment
The job involves carrying out blanket spraying to wood rafters at the roof ceiling structures using termiticide solution. Two layers of blanket spraying will be conducted to enhance protection of the wood against potential damages that can be caused by subterranean termites.
1 year warranty will be provided upon the completion of the treatment.
- Soil Treatment
This solution is primarily installed during the pre-construction phase that involves creating an anti- termite barrier beneath the area where a building is to be constructed. Termiticide are applied before concrete slabs are laid on the ground, to prevent damages that can be caused by subterranean termites.
5 Years warranty will be provided upon the completion of the treatment.Drywood termites:
- Spraying and pressure injecting liquid insecticide into the chambers for the elimination of the termite